Starting this Blog

Starting Out

It has been years since I've blogged.  The last time I used this means of communication was for a cooking blog that I stopped adding to in 2012.  I do still love to cook, but I have a different purpose for this site.

In the last few years, I have become keenly aware of the spiritual hunger in the world.  This is at a time when religious attendance is at a one hundred year low and people are wandering, uncertain of where to turn for honest answers and comfort. Ideally, everyone would find this in the community and beauty of corporate worship.  However, I am enough of a realist to know that people are wary of stepping into that level of intense community and come with many biases of religion.  A few of those biases are founded.  A few of them are not.  There are also myriads of conflicts in a time that society used to deem as sacred.

I do not believe that blogging will fill that gap, but it may open a door.  I am aware that this is also an older form of internet communication and there are probably more relevant ways of reaching people.

Ask me anything (almost)

What I intend on doing is answering questions with this blog as thoughtfully, openly and honestly as possible, exploring issues deeply.  I will not answer personal questions, other than simple answers.  I would like these to be social questions or theological questions.  In Anglican fashion, I will generally use scripture, tradition and reason to try to explore a question

Worship

My other plan is to add some form of regular worship to this blog.  I believe that prayer is essential to the Christian faith and life.  This will require a bit of work on my part to prepare.  For two years, during Lent, I have done online Morning Prayer.  This past year, I took a couple of Facebook polls, asking people if and how they might want to continue to worship online.  I am developing an online worship pattern, based on that feedback.  This part is still under construction.

Comments

  1. What do you sense that God is saying to us as Episcopalians today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking the first question! I'll mull on it and respond with a new post.

      Delete
  2. How does the Eucharist nourish all of the people of God for ministry? And how does the local parish become a place which supports its constituents in their various ministries, without limiting the word "ministry" to "churchy stuff"?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Culture of Safety

Original Sin in the Old Testament